The National Day of Qatar is on the 18 December (Official National Day; the assumption of power of Sheikh Jassem bin Mohamed al-Thani in 1878). Founder’s day celebrates the rise to power of Sheikh Jassem bin Mohamed bin Thani. Jassem is usually regarded as the father of the state of Qatar.
National Day of Qatar
Although Jassem’s father, the headman of Doha, was originally recognised as the head of the leading family in Qatar. Then at the time Qatar consisted of many different tribes and could not send to be a cohesive nation. When Jassim took over he consolidated the family’s power. However, it was his victory over the Turks that made him into a national hero. This is considered by some as the foundations of the modern Qatar state.
Sheikh Jassem bin Mohamed bin Thani was a Qatari leader. He was also the founder of the State of Qatar. He was born in 1878 in Al Wakra, Qatar, and belonged to the Al Thani family, which has ruled Qatar since the mid-19th century.
See also the National Day of Saudi Arabia as well as the National Day of Dubai. See also the Middle East on here.
Public Holidays in Qatar:
- New Year’s Day: January 1st
- National Sports Day: Second Tuesday of February
- Eid al-Fitr: Dates vary depending on the Islamic lunar calendar (usually a 3-day holiday)
- Eid al-Adha: Dates vary depending on the Islamic lunar calendar (usually a 4-day holiday)
- Qatar National Day: December 18th