Algeria National Day or Revolution Day or Independence Day is celebrated annually on the 5th July. Some of the public holidays in Algeria is movable and others such as National Day or Independence Day in Algeria is fixed. Note that there is a Thai Embassy in Algeria, also a British Embassy in Algeria and a US Embassy in Algeria. Note there address on the respective website.
Algeria National Day
The Democratic and Popular Republic of Algeria borders the Mediterranean Sea on the north coast of Africa. Islam is the state religion of Algeria. Likewise the anniversary of Algeria’s independence from France in 1962. This following a long and also a very bloody war of independence that lasted for eight years. This costs thousands of lives. However the struggle for independence was led by the National Liberation Front (FLN). This is what started a series of armed uprisings and guerrilla attacks against the French colonial authorities.
As you will know that the war for independence in Algeria began on the 1st November 1954. This is how Algeria finally gained its independence on the 5th July 1962, after a ceasefire.
Likewise you can also see the National Day of Alderney and the Angola National Day and the National Day of Central African Republic.
Public Holidays in Algeria
Here are the public holidays in Algeria:
- New Year’s Day – January 1
- Mawlid an-Nabi – the birthday of the Prophet Muhammad – varies according to the Islamic calendar
- International Women’s Day – March 8
- Amazigh New Year – varies but usually falls around April 14-15
- Labor Day – May 1
- Independence Day – July 5
- Eid al-Fitr – the end of Ramadan – varies according to the Islamic calendar
- Eid al-Adha – the feast of sacrifice – varies according to the Islamic calendar
- Islamic New Year – varies according to the Islamic calendar
- Anniversary of the Revolution – November 1
- Anniversary of the Declaration of the Provisional Government – November 19
- Christmas Day – December 25
Please note that the dates for holidays that follow the Islamic calendar. See also the Bahamas public holidays as well as the Alice Springs public holidays and the Tasmania public holiday.