The National Day of Luxembourg 23 June (the Monarch’s birthday). Additionally this is known as the Grand Duke’s Official Birthday. It marks the official birthday of the Grand Duke, the head of state of Luxembourg. Accordingly this National Day of Luxembourg has been celebrated since 1961.
National Day of Luxembourg
One of the highlights of the National Day celebrations is the traditional torchlight procession held on the evening of the 22nd June. Basically this procession, which is attended by thousands of people, involves participants carrying torches through the streets of Luxembourg City. Likewise the celebration of the Grand Duke’s Official Birthday has a long history in Luxembourg, dating back to the 19th century. Also the holiday was officially established in 1961 and has been a national public holiday ever since.
Public Holidays in Luxembourg
Firstly here are the public holidays in Luxembourg:
- New Year’s Day – January 1st
- Easter Monday – variable date (usually in March or April)
- Labor Day – May 1st
- Ascension Day – variable date (usually in May)
- Whit Monday – variable date (usually in May or June)
- National Day – June 23rd
- Assumption Day – August 15th
- All Saints’ Day – November 1st
- Armistice Day – November 11th
- Christmas Day – December 25th
- Boxing Day – December 26th
Likewise please note that if a public holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday, it may be moved to the following Monday.