The Republic Day is on the 12th November and the Austria National Day on the 15th May. The Republic of Austria is a German speaking country in central Europe. Likewise Austria declared itself a republic on this day in 1918 making this republic day and the anniversary of the Austrian State Treaty, signed in 1955 is the National Day.
Austria National Day
Austria National Day is celebrated on the 26th October annually. It celebrates the country’s declaration of permanent neutrality in 1955 following the Second World War. This as well as its regained independence from Nazi Germany in 1955.
Public Holidays in Austria
Here is a list of the most important public holidays in Austria:
- New Year’s Day (Neujahrstag) – January 1st
- Epiphany (Heilige Drei Könige) – January 6th
- Easter Monday (Ostermontag) – the Monday after Easter Sunday
- Labour Day (Tag der Arbeit) – May 1st
- Ascension Day (Christi Himmelfahrt) – the 40th day after Easter Sunday
- Whit Monday (Pfingstmontag) – the Monday after Pentecost Sunday
- Corpus Christi (Fronleichnam) – the Thursday after Trinity Sunday
- National Day (Nationalfeiertag) – October 26th
- All Saints’ Day (Allerheiligen) – November 1st
- Immaculate Conception (Mariä Empfängnis) – December 8th
- Christmas Day (Christtag) – December 25th
- Boxing Day (Stefanitag) – December 26th
Likewise on these public holidays, many businesses and government offices are closed.