The National Day of Portugal is on the 10 June (Portugal Day, “Day of Camões, Portugal, and the Portuguese Communities”, National Poet Luís de Camões dies in 1580). The National Day of Portugal, also known as “Portugal Day” or “Day of Portugal, Camões, and the Portuguese Communities”, is celebrated annually on the 10th June.
National Day of Portugal
The day celebrates the death of Luís de Camões. He was a Portuguese poet and writer who is considered a national symbol of Portuguese language and culture. The national day also celebrates the Portuguese communities around the world and their contributions to the country’s history and culture.
The National Day of Portugal became an official public holiday in Portugal in 1911. This was after the establishment of the First Portuguese Republic. It is a day of national pride and celebration, marked by parades, fireworks, cultural events, and traditional Portuguese food and drink.
Public Holidays in Portugal
Here is a list of public holidays in Portugal for the year 2023:
- New Year’s Day – January 1st
- Carnival/Shrove Tuesday – March 7th
- Good Friday – April 14th
- Easter Sunday – April 16th
- Freedom Day – April 25th
- Labour Day – May 1st
- Portugal Day – June 10th
- Assumption Day – August 15th
- Republic Day – October 5th
- All Saints’ Day – November 1st
- Restoration of Independence Day – December 1st
- Immaculate Conception Day – December 8th
- Christmas Day – December 25th
Please note that some of these holidays may fall on weekends.